Footprints following a straight line/line running

edited March 31 in General
I have recentlly read that being a line runner
is part of a proper technique (meaning that your feet land in front of you, following
a straight line, not two distint lines for left foot and right foot). I wonder if there is any study about this particular feature of
running, because
I have rarely heard about
it.

Comments

• That would be news to me.  I need to read up on it, but I'd heard that crossover gait was a bad thing.
  • Gait width varies quite a bit, I see people who almost knock their knees together when they run, and others who have a lot of space. I'm hard pressed to say one or the other is always bad, really depends on which injuries you are susceptibleto given the entire package of your mobility, strength, form, etc.
  • I saw a video of Galen Rupp on a treadmill, and he looked like a line runner to me. 

I always thought this way was wrong, and I was glad I didn't do that. I've noticed this winter, when I run on a loop, that my footprints in the snow are pretty much right in line with each other. Oh well, if it's good enough for Rupp...
  • I've generally slapped my left toe on my right calf.  Never sure why or what to do about it.
  • edited April 1
    Gordon Pirie says it is a part of proper running technique. Pirie is a british athlete of the 50`s...who writtes this in the 90`s after being a coach for many other athletes. He also writtes about other stuff that is really foreseing much of the minimalist debate: avoid overstriding, land close to your body with a bent knee, run with, at least, 3 steps per second (180 minute), land on the ball of your feet. He is an obsesse of running technique, and a very systematic athlete, I would add. 

Appart from that, he encourages an arm swing up and across the body, close to yourself, so that it "guides" your footprints to follow a straight line. Watching elite runners is hard to say if they tend to do so; I will say some do and others don`t, Galen Rupp being one of the former. 

• The reason behind it is that line running, as you call it, means you're not shifting your centre of mass from side to side with every step which is waisted energy. I've tried it but know it will end in tears after a while! At the very least, keep the shift to a minimum.
  • That is the point I was thinking: landing in an imaginary line below you means you land actually closer to your center of mass every step...well I guess. Pirie talks so enegically about it that made me think he is got something
  • Don't think I agree about not shifting your weight back and forth. Find videos of elite marathoners on Youtube. When viewed from the front, you will see an awful lot of heads and upper bodies bobbing back and forth a bit. Now I'm not saying we should all try to emulate this. This approach might not work so well for those of us who are line runners, but obviously works for many. 
  • Just run so you're comfortable and not getting injured.