Man, you gotta take a look at this video

edited April 16 in General
OK, so I was doing my usual thing of mindlessly looking for running related stuff on the internet when I came upon this video:

So when you first look at this chick on the treadmill, you think, "Oh yeah, she's one of those pronators. Looks kinda like Pete on the treadmill." And then you listen to all the blah blah from the the lady talking, and you're like "Umm, yeah, OK whatever..." But then, you get to about 4:20 or so and you're like "Dang! When she's barefoot and just walking, her feet and ankles look like a completely different person! What the heck is going on?" I'll tell you what the heck is going on...her dang shoes are changing her gait. And another thing that's going on...many so-called experts don't know what the hell they're talking about. You just gotta experiment with shoes (or no shoes maybe), listen to your body and figure out what works for you. And don't always trust the advice and blather you hear from "experts."

Comments

• Any chance you could have said that without the language?
  • Probably. I just get so worked up, you know. I gotta let it out. 
  • Hmmm... my take on the video is a bit different from your's, Michael. 
    I found the middle stuff quite interesting, in that specific example, the crossover-gait definitely causes the pronation. What I don't know is whether the shoes add to the crossover gait, and whether the crossover gait is actually a problem. What would be great is if in the end they showed barefoot running as well, instead of having two variables (running vs walking, and shod vs barefoot). From what I understand, these gait things are due to imbalanced muscles. eg. hip abductors being over developed vs adductors.

Here's what the video maker said in the comments section:
    "It was not necessary to stop her from running as she had not yet experienced any significant injuries. In cases like these we typically prescribe a structured strength program that begins with lateral pelvic tilting while focusing on using the appropriate lateral hip muscles to pull the pelvic back to neutral(especially posterior glut med). Exercises then progress to be more functional to running. After proper muscle firing patterns/awareness is established gait retraining is then incorporated"
  • I wish they had shown her running barefoot as well.

Like the runner in the video, I pronate when I run and I have a crossover gait. You would expect this looking at my feet and ankles when I'm unshod and standing or walking--I do not have a pronounced arch and my ankles cave in a little bit. What I found so interesting is that the woman's ankles and feet were so different from mine, yet she looked so similar when running. It seems to me that it's possible that those elevated shoes are causing instability in her gait when running. Again, it would be very interesting to see her RUN barefoot, or in much more minimal shoes.
  • It's also interesting to note that when she's running, her feet splay out a bit, but when she walks, she's almost pigeon-toed--well, her left foot turns in a bit. It's just so weird how different she looked doing the two different activities. While all the stuff about measuring the angles and getting weak muscles firing properly is interesting, I think it's funny that they don't consider or mention the possibility that her shoes play some part in all of this.

• Not sure why they didn't have barefoot running as well. Shoes can definitely exacerbate excessive pronation, particularly if they cave medially under the forefoot, but that's very hard to see in a rear view. Hips are also something to look at as it relates to a crossover gait, but research has shown that strengthening hip abductors does not always lead to a change in kinematics. Sometimes you need to work on conscious gait retraining.

All that being said, if she's asymptomatic I'm not really sure I care much about what her feet are doing. I've seen a woman who pronates much more than her that runs 100 miles a week and win ultras and don't seem to get hurt. Treat symptoms, not movement patterns is my basic philosophy unless there is something that you really have strong cause to worry about. Making changes to someone's natural gait can just as easily cause an injury as prevent one.