Large lateral epicondyle

edited April 13 in General
I went to see a surgeon about ITBS and after looking at x-rays of my knees he told me I have larger than normal Lateral epicondyle which causes my IT band to be tight which causes ITBS. He recommended cutting the IT band to release the tension and letting it grow back together. Has anyone heard of this being a cause for ITBS? Or heard of cutting the IT band? It sounds like a terrible idea but I am about out of other options.

Comments

• Not to ruin your day, but that's a new one on me.
  • It sounded a bit sketchy when I saw the doctor. He watched me walk about 30 feet away and 30 feet toward him and said "everything looks good". Ahh well it was worth a shot, on to other things!!
  • Go see a PT or chrio who works regularly with runners before going the surgery route - there may be a far less invasive way of dealing with your ITBS, and some docs can be quick to the scalpel. 

You want someone that can look at your form while running, not walking, and who can assess things like strength of your glute medius on the affected side. Sometimes some simple hip strengthening work can solve the problem (e.g., http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/) or some conscious form work to keep more spacing between the knees/reduce thigh adduction on the impacted side. This can all be assessed by a skilled therapist.

I can tell you that I've had ITBS twice, and both times caused by shoes and resolved by ditching the shoes in question. Not always going to be a solution in all cases, but point is that surgery is not always necessary when treating the condition.
  • So after 8 weeks of the above hip strengthening routine every other day I'm still getting pain.
    Has anyone used or know someone who has used the Strengthrunning.com injury prevention plan? It sounds like just the thing for me but it is easy to sound great when nothing else has worked.
    What is the general consensus on yoga? It has been recommended that I give it a try but I have heard mixed reviews.
    I got a pair of New Balance MT1110's and have been really digging them, I switched to them from Merrell Bare Access. I would wear ballet shoes if it meant I could run again.

• If you would like to post a video of you walking barefoot for maybe ten steps both toward and away from the camera, along with photos of your shoes sitting on a table at eye level showing me the backs of the heels, then an overhead, and one from the front, plus detailed wear patterns on both soles, I might be able to suggest some alternatives for you. There is nothing worse than being sidelined from running, so the sooner you can find the right solution that really works, the better off you'll be.

• I posted several pictures of my current shoes (the grey and orange New Balance) that I have worn for the past couple of months and the shoes I wore for the year before that ( The Blue Merrells). I haven't done any serious running in either pair, though I have done a bit of walk/short jog on some park trails.
    I posted them on Facebook so I'm not sure that will work but I don't know where else to post.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152552418246648 is the video.
    https://www.facebook.com/seth.kahn.77/media_set?set=a.10152552414871648.1073741827.537546647&type=1 Are the photos of the shoes.
    Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me or for just trying.