Newton Newbie

edited March 31 in Newton
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of collective wisdom from some more experience Newton runners.  I just got a pair of the Energy, and am really liking them.  Great fit, nice flexibility with nice cushion.  Here's the thing.  I took them out for the first time for two runs this weekend - an easy 4 miles on Saturday, and 15 on Sunday.  During the 4 mile run, they were great.  Loved them.  On the 15 miler, though, by about mile 12 or so, while my left foot was happy as a clam, my right foot felt like there was a roll of dimes under the forefoot, where the lugs are.

So, my question is, what gives?  Is it a case of me doing too much Newton too soon, is it a possible issue with my gait and/or form (Lord knows there are issues there, but...), differences in my feet, or is it maybe something with the lugs on the right shoe?  I would definitely chalk it up to too much, too soon, or something funky in my stride if it weren't only in one shoe.  My left foot, as I say, was blissfully happy, and the right ended up a little unhappy.

Thoughts?  Thanks!

Comments

• Call Newton, they are always happy to help.  I've worn them for years and called them a few times for advise on things.  I also have a pair of the energy and I get some strange feelings in my toes with those that I don't get with the distance or gravity. 
  • edited April 2
    Probably too much too soon. I've had the same issue with my 2011 Distance, MV2, and MV3. It hasn't been too severe, so I figure if I just keep these shoes in rotation and use them occasionally, I won't have any problems, and I haven't recently. I have to say, though, that the forefoot pain spooked me enough that I don't feel comfortable wearing these shoes for an actual race. There are certainly many people who do, however.

Oh wait, I did wear the MV3 for a 5K. I wear flats for all distances up to the marathon. I guess I would avoid wearing the Newtons for longer distances.
  • Probably too much too soon.  How do I know?  Ask my podiatrist.

I got a pair of Gravitys, was enamored with them right away, and started to run in them all the time.  I was 55-60 mpw in those days.  Felt great on one foot; a little "off" on the other.  Some aches in that foot after a run.  I figured I just need to get used to the shoes.  The ache turned into serious pain; I started compensating, then limping.  Then it started to affect my walking.  Well, long story short....stress fracture.  Went to a sports podiatrist who said he has seen it with Newtons before.  He told me  that our feet are different, as in the left is not a mirror opposite of the right,  ergo how the lugs hit each foot will be a little different.  And for a very select few (lucky me!), the way it hits a given foot under that level of volume and intensity could contribute to a stress condition or even sfx.

Two months later I started running again and waited another month to try the Newtons again.  (My podiatrist told me to never wear them again.  He said they are great shoes, but not for me.)  Altras are really my favorite shoes, but I do run in the Newtons every so often.  

So, learned my lesson: too much too soon, and too different.

I doubt there is an issue with the lugs in one shoe v. the other.  The QC at Newton is second to none in the running shoe  industry, IMO.  I doubt it is your form, because then what you're feeling would be bilateral, unless you have a physiological or biomechanical issue (and we all do to some degree), but if this is new to your running in Newtons, I would rule that out.  Occam's Razor and all that: likely too much too soon.  And, maybe it is just hitting your R foot differently than your L.  Maybe scroll back the mileage in Newtons and compare how your feet are feeling in non-Newton shoes?

Good luck getting it sorted.

• Thanks for the input, folks.  That's what I figured as well - too much too soon.  I have dialed it back to shorter runs in the Newtons, and they are feeling good.  Gotta build back into the long runs with them.
  • The lugs can definitely throw a different feel at your feet, and probably some alteration in how forces are applied to the forefoot. Like any change, best to proceed slowly with adaptation to them.