Shoe choice advice

DanDan
edited January 2013 in Running Shoes - General
Hi all,

I posted this earlier in the minimal running category, but I think it's better placed here:

I'm looking for some advice on minimalist running shoes. Some background: Starting in March of last year I ran in Saucony Mirage 2s. My local running store salesperson said I overpronated a but and recommended them. They felt great and I went through two pairs, running my first marathon with them in October. Around then, I decided I want to try more minimal shoes and bought a pair of New Balance MR00s, which I've been running in since the marathon. Generally, they feel pretty good, but I often spend my runs thinking about how they feel. In particular, it doesn't feel like my toes are pushing off (I'm not sure if this is because of the roomier forefoot). Additionally, I've noticed sometimes that I get some numbness in my feet (mostly in the left foot). I've had this before with other neutral shoes, so I don't know if this is related to pronation issues, or if it could just be from the minimal cushioning in the MR00s. Yesterday I went for a 10.5 mile run (the longest in them so far) and was really feeling the impact in my feet and had some discomfort in my knees towards the end. I put on my old Mirages when I got home and jogged around a bit and they felt great. 

All of this has me questioning whether I should be using so minimal a shoe, especially I start training for half marathons in the spring. My overall question then is, if I stick it out in the MR00s, will my feet and legs adjust to using them for longer distances? If not, do I just need a shoe with more cushioning or should I go back to 4-mm drop shoes? Or do I need to go all the way back to shoes with some more control, like the Mirage?

Additionally, if anyone can suggest some shoes, it'd be much appreciated. I'm interested to see what the NB MR10v2 is like, because I really like the fit of the MR00s. If I stick with zero-drop I was thinking about checking out the Bare Access 2.

Comments