Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

DISCLOSURE
VigLink badge

Merrell Bare Access 2 Review

Comments

• One thing I wish these shoes had from yesterday's experience would be an increased ability to drain water.  That said, they're road shoes and, with the windy uppers, are more able than most standard shoes (ie shoes without drain holes).
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • I've done a 13-miler in my BA2s and my feet and legs felt good. One complaint is that I got blisters on the instep of each foot (not wearing socks). Lacing them tighter seems to have helped with that, though. I'm planning to wear them during a half-marathon this weekend. 
  • One thing I can say is that I have not run or walked one step in the BA2's with socks on--no blister problems, either.  Quite frankly, I can't understand why anyone would run in the M-Connect shoes (aside from maybe the MixMaster) with socks on, when they were clearly designed for sockless wear.
  • With the low heel collar I find that on gravel roads, which is the primary surface I have available. small chards of rock, sand, grit and so on get in the shoe. I use the Balega Pro Pacer socks for everything with the exception of grass surfaces- then barefoot for sure, sometimes even without the shoes. These M-Connects are interesting as tightening the laces still gives toes and heel plenty of room. Awesome.
  • I've been lacing all the way up to the top holes since I got those blisters and the difference is significant. I wonder why Merrell has been shying away from the Omnifit lacing with their newer models. I've never had a pair with it, but I've seen a lot of people raving about it online.

• For road running, I don't think Omnifit laces are really all that big of a deal.  It could just be how my feet fit (pretty well) in the shoes, but I've even gone so far as not using my usual lace lock (not to be confused with Lock Laces).  I've tied EVERY shoe I've used since probably high school with a lace lock at the top, and the fact that I have actually stopped doing that with these suggests to me that they fit pretty well (and aren't sliding around).
  • I set a half marathon PR this past Sunday wearing the BA2s. They felt great the entire race - pretty much disappeared from my feet. I had some pain and stiffness in my right foot afterwards, which I've experienced a few times before after long or hard runs in them, but that wore off yesterday. Not sure I could train for a marathon with them, but I'm loving them for 13.1 and under.
  • edited May 2013
    That is a good question: whether or not minimalist shoes are appropiate for racing. 

I usually race with Inov8 f-lite 195, at least in 10k races. IThey are light and I love the feeling. But some people bielive that shoes like Adidas Adios or similar are more appropiate. This kind of shoes have the ability to generate momentum. I don´t know how to explain it. If you hold the Adios in your hand and try to bend it, you realize they are very stiff; once you "release" them, they generate this...momentum. 

P.S.: sorry, I was reading the second page, when the disscussion was focused on racing/minimalist shoes and answered that point...I didn´t realize tho topic had chaged...
  • 150mi update:

Here're the wear pictures...Right shoe first:

Left shoe.  I have a shortened/raised first metatarsal:

I would be surprised if these make it much past 300mi given the forefoot wear.
  • Additionally, I've noticed that the sockliner on both shoes has bunched up slightly under my big toe.

Has anyone else noticed that?
  • The wear pattern of mine after 300+ miles.

Left forefoot

Left midfoot

Left heel

Right forefoot

Right midfoot

Right heel

Right / Left forefoot comparison

• The wear pattern is pretty symmetrical, which I'm glad about. My guess is that they have around 200 miles in them still. We'll see.
  • Holy cow!  I wish I wore shoes like that...how big/tall are you?
  • I'm a tiny bit under 6 ft tall for 143 lbs.
  • Wow...I'm about an inch or two taller and about 30lbs heavier.

It's high school XC all over again, lol