Currently in Grid Mirage and wanting to transition

All,

I've been running in the Mirage II since about 7 months ago, but due to injury and my son being born, I've only gotten about 200mi on them and they're pretty beat up.  I had planned on transitioning to a new shoe in the couple weeks leading up to the Tough Mudder (one week from this Saturday), but then hurt my knee (still not sure what I did...). 

I was only up to about 15-18mi per week, running 3 days/week.  I was wanting to transition to the Merrell Bare Access 2 (which I picked over the original model because it actually HAS an outsole).  Considering I previously ran in Asics 2160's with orthotics (which I also wore when I first started with my Mirages), does this sound completely insane?

Comments

• If you've had no issues in the Mirage, it's not insane as long as you transition gradually. You can probably get an early model Mirage for really cheap right now since the Mirage 3 is about to come out and mix the two shoes in together. I just got the Bare Access 2 and it looks promising, though I didn't have much problem with the original in terms of durability. Just go easy on your calves - they probably will be sore initially, and some foam rolling can be a big help!
  • I remember initially having calf issues with the Mirage--a foam roller was part of my [first] Father's Day gift.  I pretty much never have issues now.

I'm still waiting on Merrell to ship the BA2's so I can get them from Roadrunner Sports, but if I don't like them, I'm eyeing up the Brooks PureCadence or PureFlow.  Gotta love 90-day guarantees!
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • I'll probably have to transition gradually simply because I haven't run in almost a month now.  When you say "gradually", Peter, do you mean like a mile or two at a time?
  • Yes, mile or two at a time to start. The Bare Access is more forgiving than say the Road Glove or a Vibram, but always best to be careful. If you were going into one of the latter, I'd suggest even less than a mile.

The Cadence/Flow are the Brooks equivalent to the Mirage/Kinvara, so you can probably make that change without much transition needed.
  • Sadly, the BA2's are still on backorder, so we'll see how this goes.  I'm also rehabbing my knee, so a mile or two at a time is probably going to be all I can do for awhile.

• I just put up my first impression review of the BA2: :http://www.runblogger.com/2012/10/merrell-bare-access-2-first-impressions.html

Only ten miles in them so far, but they compare favorably to the original, and will likely be a lot more durable.
  • I saw that!  Thank you for the review!
  • For what it's worth, I finally took those pictures of my shoes that I'd been wanting to take:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39576102@N00/sets/72157631883958215/

What kind of has me worried is the forefoot wear, particularly on the right foot:

This is after 210 miles of wear over road and trail.

• Looks like you tend to stay on the outside of the foot and not roll through the big toe, would love to see a form video from side and back.
  • I've been wanting to do a form video.  Maybe I'll take my camera with me to the gym tomorrow night (if I go).  I've got a Flip that should be sufficient for the job.
  • Thanks for posting this, Bryan. I see a similar pattern on my Kinvaras - the outside of the foot is showing much more wear than the inside. 
  • edited November 2012
    I took a couple quick videos and stuck them together to show my form:

Any thoughts?
  • I am not an expert by about 2.4 light years worth of inexperience but that was interesting to watch.  I need to do this on myself as well.  Since it wasn't in slow motion it was difficult to tell what was really going on.  It seems from the side angle that your landing (I hate the word strike in this context) is slightly out in front of your body but I can't really tell.  From the rear it really does look like your foot does not roll through after landing.  At most you land on the outside of the foot as I think should be done, move to the middle but the foot doesn't move from there to toe off.  Take that will about 2.5 blocks of salt.  It will be interesting to see what people who know this stuff have to say.
  • Peter noticed the lack of toe roll from my right shoe's forefoot wear. Not sure how to "cure" it though.
  • I wonder if it's a matter of loosening up the ankle and foot joints?