Wear Pattern Question

DanDan
edited August 2013 in Running Form
Can anyone fill me in on the importance of shoe wear patterns? I noticed that the wear on my Bare Access 2s is all in the middle of the shoe, towards the forefoot. The wear on my NB MR00s is on the outside of the sole, very close to the edge. The wear on my Mirages is towards the outside of the sole, but not as close to the edge. What should an ideal wear pattern look like, or is there no ideal pattern?

Comments

• Let's see some pictures if you have a chance!
  • A healthy wear pattern goes along the outer half of the shoe from heel to the fifth metatarsal and then almost on a right angle across the forefoot to the great toe. Pictures of shoe wear patterns and the position of the respective shoe uppers in relation to the sole can be helpful in shedding light on biomechanical problems.
  • You guys would have fun with mine.

Especially looking at the Phase, would it surprise you to learn that I recently got over Cuboid Syndrome on my left foot?
  • I love that comment: (said in an annoying know-it-all tone of voice) "A healthy wear pattern goes along the outer half of the shoe...blah, blah, blah."

Puleeeze. Everyone's wear pattern is different. No one is symmetrical. I know I'm not, and my wear pattern is probably not what would be considered ideal. So what? Until I break down and I can't run anymore, I'll continue to trust my body and common sense and avoid any advice from people like WearPatternAnalyst.
  • Michael - of course there is variation, but the wear pattern she described is the typical pattern. Starts somewhere along the lateral margin from heel to forefoot, then goes across the forefoot toward the big toe. There's a reason why a lot of shoes place rubber in these very areas. Deviations from this pattern can be informative.

• edited May 21
    any comments or notes on a wear pattern that looks like this?
    this is about 35 road miles, 35 treadmill miles. 
  • Very similar to mine. Landing lateral forefoot. No heelstriking. Perfectly normal from my point of view.
  • I think I must scrub a little on landing. I wish I could fix that, because this pair of shoes isn't getting worn anywhere else really. Looks like I scrub that outside edge a hair, then maybe roll to center to push off? I know i definitely land there.
    I cut matching lugs off of a pair of hiking boots and gorilla glued it on at that spot where the white foam is disintegrating, hopefully that rubber doesn't wear as fast as the original rubber. These shoes (NB MRC1600) are perfect!

• If you are scuffing at that point, it's often due to reaching for the ground with your foot (plantar flexing) in an atempt to ensure a forefoot landing. This leads to overstriding on your forefoot which can cause that scuffing. I used to do that on my right foot (due to a dodgy knee). Just try and drop your foot under you.
  • edited May 25
    I still think that sometimes people read too much into wear patterns. Or else they think one type of wear pattern is ideal. The outer edge of my left heel wears more than my right. I strive to land mid foot, but looking at pictures from races, I can see that I use every type of foot strike possible. That may cause a wear pattern that some would consider less than ideal. Still, I managed to run 5 marathons last year (3:31 was my best) 6 halfs (1:37) and a bunch of other races. I ran a half marathon last weekend, and ran a 5K PR of 19:43 today. I'm not incredibly fast, but my point is that I can run quite a bit and not get injured--despite a less-than-ideal wear pattern. More important than the wear on your soles, is the fundamental soundness of your form. My form isn't perfect, but I suspect that my attention to it has something to do with my lack of injuries.
  • Actually, I'm starting to think it's because I don't get enough of the opposite flex because my achilles tendons are pretty tight and inflexible. Which is annoying. 
  • Looks like a typical forefoot striker wear pattern with a bit of scuffing. Could be as @idenby described you are reaching a bit with the forefoot. But if no injury history, wouldn't worry about it unless you destroy shoes too quick.