Cuboid Syndrome...Anyone Familiar?

edited March 9 in General
I finally went to see a chiropractor on the suggestion of a local running coach.  After a 30min or so examination, he's thinking the injury/pain I'm dealing with is Cuboid Syndrome.

Have any of you ever dealt with it?

Comments

• What is that? I still don't even understand what a neuroma is.
  • Yes I have suffered with it. It's the displacement of the cuboid bone in the centre ish area of the foot.

The first time it happened it was very painful but it went with a few days rest. Another couple of times I had it I saw an osteopath and had it manipulated. Again I managed to get over it relatively quickly.

The last time I had it a year and a half a go I saw the osteopath and had it manipulated. I was marathon training though so didn't give it full rest and I couldn't get rid of it. I felt loads of pressure in my foot probably from the displaced bone pulling on everything and it lead to extreme plantar fasciitis. This then led to 5th metatarsal pain which I suspect was a stress fracture although I never got it formally diagnosed.

I ended up with orthotics and a long break from running to get over it all. I was told by the podiatrist that I have functional hallux limitus which is limited big toe movement. This means my foot can end up flexing further back where it shouldn't because the big toe didn't bend back enough. This ends up putting stress on the cuboid bone area.

I wore the orthotics for a while but then went for the completely opposite solution. I binned the orthotics and now walk around either barefoot or in barefoot shoes such as merrells or vivo. This was to allow my foot strength to grow naturally. Touch wood I haven't had problems since and hopefully I won't again in the future.

I run in Newton's which with the lugs work quite well for people with limited big toe movement. Recently started trying out the skechers gorun 3 which I really like despite the flexibility not necessarily being a great idea. Maybe all the walking in barefoot shoes has strengthened my feet enough.

Hopefully that's useful to you. I would say respect it and don't overrun on it. I got through it fine the first few times but the last was the worst injury I've had so be careful.

This is where you tell me its a different cuboid syndrome you were referring to!
  • edited March 15
    Basically, cuboid syndrome is a subluxation of the cuboid bone (one of the bones on the outside aspect of the midfoot) - typically due to excessive traction (such as in peroneal tendinopathy).  Often also associated with an ankle sprain.  Pain is around the outside aspect of the midfoot with weight bearing.  

Treatment usually consists of a single manipulation to reverse the subluxation - however, it is really important to settle the cause (ie peroneal tendinopathy) of the syndrome.  

Info based on my clinical experience as a physio and Brukner & Khan's Clinical Sports Medicine (3rd Ed)

Hope this helps!
  • Thanks, guys!

I've been going to a chiro for a couple weeks and this was his prognosis and treatment plan.  I've just been worried that I have an underlying 5th metatarsal stress fracture, too.  Considering that the pain that led me to think that has dissipated over a couple weeks, he's thinking that it's not a stress fracture, as "bone wouldn't heal that fast".

I took off almost all of February after experiencing can't-walk-without-limping pain on the lateral side of my foot after a run.  I finally took a run at the beginning of March and experienced the same pain, and so I decided to go see someone about it.  The chiro wants me to try to run next weekend.

What do you guys think?
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Go easy if you do, the chiro knows better than any of us what the situation is so I'd follow his/her advice.

• I plan on it.  Just kind of want some reassurance that what I'm being told at least makes sense, you know?
  • Bryan-

I'd never even heard of the cuboid bone until Galen Rupp had his pop out of joint during the mile race at the New Balance Grand Prix last month. He apparently had it adjusted by the team PT, and then was able to do mile repeats later that evening. So get it tweaked back into place and you'll be running 4:15 mile repeats in no time!

Seriously, hope it is a quick recovery. The message board chatter I saw following Rupp's cuboid injury suggests that after the single manipulation, most folks are back running surprisingly quickly - hopefully that's the case for you, fill us in on your experience when you get the chance.
  • Bought myself a pair of Hitogamis and am going to take my first run in about a month tomorrow.  Here's to hoping I'm still alive :-)
  • First run of 2mi went well.  Ran (unintentionally) 2min/mi faster than normal.  No major injury to report yet.