What kind of shoes for flat feet?

I have almost no arch whatsoever (as well as the beginnings of bunyons).  My feet are pretty narrow, as well.  I usually run between 35 and 45 miles a week (the bulk of which through longer, 10+ runs).  I haven't been injured in about a year (the injury wasn't running related), but I keep getting blisters on the inside of my feet and after long runs my big toes hurt.  I'm probably over-pronating.   I prefer lighter, more minimalist shoes because then my feet aren't so heavy, but what shoes are best for my kind of foot? 

Comments

• What are you wearing now? That might help steer you to another option. There really isn't a particular best shoe for flat feet as it really depends on how your feet behave while running (flat feet when still may be similar to regular feet when running).
  • I am no podiatrist but have flat feet and this has always been a problem. For me the key is a wide toe box. I don't think I have specially wide feet but a shoe that lets my toes splay relieves the pain. I did a lot of barefoot running (when it didn't snow!) and minimal shoes like FiveFingers, Merrell Vapor Glove etc. which has helped (and strenghtened?) my long arches. I think I need some cushioning though for my metatarsals and flat forefeet. I have different Altra shoes now and don't think I can (or want to) run in anything else. Altras are light and zero-drop. I also have a minimal arch support that I use. What works for some may not work for others. I wish I could run barefoot always, but I can't. I just want to run and be injury free. Be open minded and find out what works for you.
  • I have flat feet big time and people want to put me in major stability or motion control all the time until they watch me run.  I really like the Altra Provision which has a mild stability insert, but are still zero drop and reasonably light.  I did my first marathon in them on October after being exclusively a half marathon and I experienced no foot issues whatsoever.  For 3-6 mile training runs I use the Altra One or Skechers.