Soreness/Pain on Outside-Top of Left Foot

edited October 2013 in Running Injuries
All, I recently switched to the Skora Phase as my primary shoes.  I've been loving them so far, but I notice after runs and when I get up from sitting that the muscles that dorsiflex my outer toes are sore.  Sometimes this is enough to make me limp for a couple steps.  It's not enough to affect my running gait (that I'm aware of).

I've heard of people having soreness on the top of their feet when they lace their shoes loosely enough to pull them off without untying them.  Do you think this might be the problem?  I have to leave the shoes pretty loose as it is, and they are pretty high volume.

Comments

• I can usually take my shoes off without untying them, although they don't feel loose when worn... So I don't think that's the problem. Guess your muscles are just adapting to the new kicks... Be positive about it, cause niggles are a way of life for us runners, if you can still run its not an injury, if it's not getting worse it's not an injury... like those crossfitters say, "pain is just weakness leaving the body."
  • edited October 2013
    I'm really liking the shoes otherwise.  Instead of alternating the shoes for my runs this week, I ran in the new ones all week!  I wonder if I shouldn't have bought an 11 instead of a 11.5.

Basically, the shoes barely touch the top of my foot all the way to my toes when tied--BARELY.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Still dealing with it on and off.  I find that I can run fine and, after the first few steps of walking, it's not noticeable.  When I get up from sitting or lying down though, the first few steps are limping.

I've done epsom salt baths on it for the last couple days and I don't know if it's really helping.
  • edited October 2013
    I'm beginning to suspect that I sprained it during a plant and turn during a run.  Today (the day after my 2nd 5K in as many weeks), I could barely stand on my foot, much less walk.
  • Did you notice any inflammation comparing the right vs left?  Were you able to narrow down the actually "pain" source/point?

I ask because I have something similar that just started (feel it on the outside/top of right foot when I move my foot (circles/flexing).  Did notice that there is definitely inflammation below the ankle - I expect I did something similar and my run on Sunday antagonized it (felt it as the day went on and then this a.m).  I had a though time walking "normal" getting up this a.m but it did feel better after moving around/gym.   

• Right foot is absolutely fine.  Left foot, I have pain near the base of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th toes as well as the outside area of the top of the foot about halfway between the base of the toes and the front of where the leg and foot meet.
  • BryanEW710 - I have been dealing with what sounds exactly the same for the last six months. It started when I first got my Inov 8 Road Xtreme 208s. It's worst first thing in the morning or getting up after sitting, but doesn't hurt when running. Some days it can be pretty bad going up and down stairs. Some days it's completely fine. My physiotherapist showed me a taping technique that seems to help Reece the pain and I have also found that wearing the Strassburg sock at night helps as well.
  • What are you going to do about it?
  • Keep up with the taping and the sock when it's feeling worse. Run less on the days after a big run or when it's feeling worse. Keep running every day though (I have now run the last 301 days in a row).
  • You wouldn't happen to have any links to the taping, would you?  After a week off, I am going NUTS waiting for my foot to feel better (which it does intermittently).
  • I've done a search and I can't see anything that matches the taping I have. I will try and describe it:
    1) put foot in dorsiflexed position, similar to how it would be if you were standing.
    2) start with tape on fleshy bit just in front of lateral ankle bone.
    3) bring tape upwards and towards the medial side coming across the bottom of the shin and ending up near top of Achilles.
    4) repeat three times (ie three layers).

Hope this makes sense.
  • So are you having more pain on the top or bottom of your feet?  Mine ranges in the area below my outer ankle and includes the area on top of and between my 3rd and 4th toes, mostly.
  • It keeps changing actually. This morning the pain has shifted around to the inside of the ankle.
  • Hmmm...I haven't had any medial issues...
  • Doing some more research, I suspect that I really need to look at keeping my calves loose.