Using a variety of shoes, but all the same brand - is this ok?
  • I've read here and elsewhere that there is a lot of benefit to using several different pairs of shoes. The idea is that the different stress on the feet/legs/ankles, etc., makes us constantly adapt and get stronger while avoiding repetitive stress, right?

Here's my question: what if the shoes are all the same brand (in my case, it might end up being NB)? For example, 890v3s for everyday training, 1400 for speed, and 1690 for trail. I'm sure I'll want to add another, lol. I'm assuming the shoes will have inherent similarities and perhaps be built on similar lasts. But at this point, I don't really know what I'm talking about. ;-)

Thanks in advance for your help!

• I'd say as long as you're mixing sole thickness & firmness as well as heel/toe drop, it shouldn't really matter much whether they're the same brand or not.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Thank you! I will probably end up with 4mm, 8mm, and 10mm drops, but most shoes will have some cushion. I might try a "maximalist" shoe for long road runs but we'll see when I get closer to that training.
  • Personally, I'd be working on phasing out the 10mm drop shoes. We can get plenty of cushioning in lower drop shoes now. That's just my opinion, and I'm certainly no expert.
  • Honestly, as long as you're doing a bit of trail work, you're probably fine - that does a lot more to impose different stresses than mixing up shoes will. The repetitive stress concern is more of a factor for runners that are constantly on flat pavement - the surface is too consistent, allowing your feet/legs to just repeat the same movement. On the trails, consistent surface isn't usually a concern!
  • I'd concur with what others have said here. Mixing up sole properties is the key, doesn't matter if all the same brand. And running trails adds constant variation.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android