longer distance trail shoe
  • I'm planning to run my first 50km non-rocky trail race this spring and would like suggestions for a shoe with more cushion than my current favourite, the MT110.

So far I am planning to test fit three possibilities - MT1010V2, La Sportiva Helios and Nike Wildhorse/Kiger. I like light shoes with low drop, and find that the moderate forefoot stiffness of my current MT110 helps preserver my delicate metatarsals.

Please offer comments regarding my current shopping list or add your own recommendation.

Thanks. 

• I have the Skechers Go Run Ultra, and I like it a lot.  I find that it gives very good cushion on the trails.  With the insole it's an 8mm drop shoe, and without the insole it's a 4mm drop shoe.  I run without the insole.  Just another one to throw into the mix.
  • I've got the GoBionic and like it, but find that my metatarsals are sensitive to these because of their great flexibility. Are the Ultras significantly stiffer in the forefoot? 

I also wonder if the Ultras are too cushiony for my needs - they have a LOT more midfoot than my MT110.
  • Not a recommendation as such, but like you I run in MT110 and love them, but am also hesitant to use them for my first 50-miler this summer. I've had some problems with a foot during fall and winter and can't have that flaring up during a 10-hour run. Being a NB Minimus afficionado I plan to go with the MT1010v2; I have not got them yet, and it may become obvious during spring that they don't provide enough cushioning for the long ultras, but I am really hesitant to go down the Hoka route. Normally I would not have considered even the 1010's - they look too much like a normally cushioned shoe for my taste, even though they are light and supposedly feels a lot like the 110's - but these are not normal times.

It will therefore be interesting to hear what shoe you end up getting, and also your thoughts on how they perform versus the MT110.

Good Shoe Hunting!
  • have you tried the Altra LonePeak 1.5? (I keep recommending that one :))

It has enough cushioning, is zero drop and I feel very confident on any kind of terrain.I ran my second 50k in them and they even drained fast after a river crossing.

Rainer
  • I'm interested in the LonePeak, but having never seen them, I'm a bit reluctant to order one up. I had a previous experience with a VivoBarefoot shoe that was at least a full size off. Since I'm in Canada, shipping to/from gets expensive.
    The other factors against the LonePeak are weight and stack height, though neither is too far off of my acceptable range.
  • I've tried on the Terra Kiger but not run in it. Nice shoe, but may not be stiff enough for your needs. Pretty soft, and love the upper. Saucony Peregrine feels a bit more cushioned than the 110 and might be worth a look. Brooks Grit 3 also coming soon.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • Would definitely consider the MT1010 for a trail Ultra, make sure it is laced tight since the stack is high enough to increase the risk of ankle issues.
    the 1010 is definitely softer than the 110 and I also feel it has better grip on mud, wet rocks and loose soil, v2 is also great and seems to run a half size large in the mens 12/12.5 range.

• I've run with the NB1010 on trails in our Rochester, NY winter and while it is not insulated in the least, I find it has a nice grip on crusty snow/soft ice. I'm planning on using it for serious trail training as winter breaks into spring. For the winter months, I just jumped into Newton BoCoAT (weirdly, 2 days before I read Pete's review... though thankfully, his review was confirmatory) 

Maybe we all know our general drops/roominess requirements for most of the year. My thoughts on spring trail races revolve on the 'special' conditions, is it muddy? is it frozen? Is it usually scree/gravel or roots and rocks? Do you need stability, protection, warmth, grip, traction, water-proofing... and what combination of each?

I once ran a St.Patricks (Mar. 17) trail race that had 6 inch snow drifts in the hollows, mud (at the bottom of crests) and ice patches in the open air fields. Since then, well... training shoes are always different than race day shoes for me. 
  • My spring race is actually in May, so even though I'm in Alberta, I'm expecting warm weather. Considering our climate, it could be anywhere between 8 and 30 degrees C (37 to 86 F).

Your point is valid though. My MT110s work well in cold and slightly snowy conditions. My local trails are well swept(though icy) throughout the winter so I am able to stay out of accumulated snow, but race days can be a different matter, I'm doing a 1/2 marathon (the Hypothermic Half) on Feb 16 and that could be extreme weather - extreme cold and drifting snow are both possibilities. Someday I'll get the MT110 Winter for such weather.
  • I have been against all this maximalisme but must say I was impressed when I tried a pair of Hokas. They were really comfortable. Too bad the toe box is for me too narrow. I run mostly in Altras because the wide toe box is joga for my feet problems. So if I ran more trails I would not hesitate to get the Altra Olympus. That must be the perfect maximalisme trail shoe. A Hoka with an Altra fit!
  • I don't think you need to look much farther than the 1010v2 and the Kiger.  The fact that the trail is "non-rocky" leads me to recommend the Kiger, but if you want a rock plate, the 1010v2 is a great choice.
  • I got around to trying on a Kiger. 
    It feels like to too much shoe to me now. I don't really know how much shoe is enough until I've tried the 50km distance though.
    I'm liking the MT1010 V2 and Helios so far but am in no hurry to choose just yet.
  • After reading some of these comments, I'm going to give the Kiger a try. 
    I have had success up to 15 miles on dirts\roots in Kinvara TR2s. 
    I am also just starting in MT1010s (about 40 miles so far, but not more than 10 at once) 
    I just got some Mix Master 2 (and really like them for the 8 miles I did in snow\slush today) 

I'm looking for something for trail marathons, and thus lots of trail training distance, that might provide a bit more cushion\recovery. 

I have put about 30 miles in Newton BoCo ATs and they just aren't doing it for me. Unfortunately, they feel great everywhere but underfoot. 

@LateEntry - How would you compare Helios to the 1010?
  • I haven't run in either yet. Trying them on, the Helios feels softer with a more traditional fit. The MT1010 has more toe space and seems to have a 'roll off the front' feeling.

• Can anyone tell me how the Montrail Fluidflex compares to the MT110 for stiffness?

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android