What kind of shoes for flat feet?
  • I have almost no arch whatsoever (as well as the beginnings of bunyons).  My feet are pretty narrow, as well.  I usually run between 35 and 45 miles a week (the bulk of which through longer, 10+ runs).  I haven't been injured in about a year (the injury wasn't running related), but I keep getting blisters on the inside of my feet and after long runs my big toes hurt.  I'm probably over-pronating.   I prefer lighter, more minimalist shoes because then my feet aren't so heavy, but what shoes are best for my kind of foot? 

• What are you wearing now? That might help steer you to another option. There really isn't a particular best shoe for flat feet as it really depends on how your feet behave while running (flat feet when still may be similar to regular feet when running).
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • I am no podiatrist but have flat feet and this has always been a problem. For me the key is a wide toe box. I don't think I have specially wide feet but a shoe that lets my toes splay relieves the pain. I did a lot of barefoot running (when it didn't snow!) and minimal shoes like FiveFingers, Merrell Vapor Glove etc. which has helped (and strenghtened?) my long arches. I think I need some cushioning though for my metatarsals and flat forefeet. I have different Altra shoes now and don't think I can (or want to) run in anything else. Altras are light and zero-drop. I also have a minimal arch support that I use. What works for some may not work for others. I wish I could run barefoot always, but I can't. I just want to run and be injury free. Be open minded and find out what works for you.
  • I have flat feet big time and people want to put me in major stability or motion control all the time until they watch me run.  I really like the Altra Provision which has a mild stability insert, but are still zero drop and reasonably light.  I did my first marathon in them on October after being exclusively a half marathon and I experienced no foot issues whatsoever.  For 3-6 mile training runs I use the Altra One or Skechers.  

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android