Merrell Bare Access 2 vs. Roadglove 2
  • I have been
    running in minimal shoes the last year and runs about 40 miles a week. My
    favourite shoes are Brooks Pure Flow and Skechers Go Runs (+ GR Ride) but I’m thinking about
    going even more minimal after doing some training runs in the Saucony Hattori. 
    I can feel that my form is great in those shoes, but there’s some things about
    the Hattori, that I don’t like, so I want to try another 0-drop shoe.

Been
    reading a lot of good things about the Merrell Bare Access 2 and Road Glove 2 but
    can’t decide which one to pick..

Don’t want
    a overly cushioned shoe (that’s bad for my running form), but then again maybe I
    need some underfoot protection for the long runs and marathons + ultras I plan
    to run in my zero-drop shoes.

All my
    running will be on asphalt.

So should I
    go for the Bare Access or Road Glove? 
    A real dilemma :)

• I was just looking for a thread about the Bare Access 2 - I just ordered a pair for me from 6pm.com for $40 US.  I love these shoes - at least as much for casual wear as I love them for running.  Thinking about getting another pair to stockpile.  

Haven't run in the Road Glove, but the Bare Access is a great shoe, and $40 is a steal.
  • I loved my BA2's, but I had two problems with them (and only two):

1.) I had some durability problems.  Had to send back one set when the upper frayed and/or separated from the midsole right near the ball of my left foot.
    2.) Apparently, my feet widened a bit as I wore the shoes because by the end, I was nearly busting out the upper.

Check out my thread on them here.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Great review Bryan - you should make your own blog ;-) 

My biggest concern is, that the BA2 got too much cushioning, as I tend to land a bit harder, when there's much cushioning in a shoe.
    On the other side there could be too little cushioning in the Road Glove 2 so thats kind of my dilemma.

• The BA2 is pretty firm, so not much worry there.
  • I have not run in version 2 of either shoe, but have a lot of miles in the original Road Glove and original Bare Access.  The original Road Glove is my all-time favorite shoe.  I stopped running in the BA1 and only wear them for casual wear.  The Road Glove is much more flexible than the BA, which I preferred.  When I want more cushioning but still want zero-drop, I go with the Altra One.  
  • The BA 2 is firm as Bryan said, definitely not a squishy shoe. Altra The One would be another to consider for zerod drop with a bit of cushion. Road Glove is more minimal for sure, kind of slots in between the Bare Access and Vapor Glove.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • Is there a way to add a "like" to comments that get made?

• @steveL - yes, should be a Like link to the right of the person's name above their comment. I just liked Brian's comment above.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • I'm still regretting that The One didn't work out for me.
  • I haven't tried the Bare Access yet, but I do most of my running in the Road Glove 2 - everything short of very slippery or technical trails. It's a very firm ride and the durability of these shoes are almost too good - you won't have to buy another shoe for a while :(
  • I have two pair of the original Road Glove and it is the best shoe I have ever worn.  RG2 is a good shoe but does not seem to have the same quality of the original.  At first I thought the RG was too minimal to run long distances but  i just ran a half marathon in them and am training for a full marathon in April.
  • Thx for all your feedback :) I ended up buying the Road Glove 2 and can't wait to test it! 
    If it's too minimal, I will just use it to train technice on my short runs (and maybe buy a pair of Bare Access for the longer runs ;-) ), but my goal is to make it my marathon shoe. 

I'm kind of inspired by Petes book and the more minimal a shoe I wear the more lightly I tread 

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android