In trouble...

Comments

• Fate is so cruel. Thursday morning, I woke up with a pain in my left foot, on the lateral side, above the cuboid or thereabout. It mainly hurts during push-off, but push-off is pretty much...running. There is no pain upon applying pressure on any particular area of the foot. It doesn't hurt either if I stand on my toes. There is just a tiny bit of swelling at the end of the day right above the cuboid bone.
    It's weird and I feel defeated.

So, it looks like my hesitation over shoes now seems very vain and silly.

• Sports Doc said 4 weeks off. Midfoot Sprain. No marathon for me. This at the end of my best training cycle ever.
    Not in a happy place right now.
  • Bummer!  I know how that feels...
  • Second opinion maybe?
  • Yep, my wife literally pushed me to a chiropractor today. Now, it's the first time I see one of those and I have mixed feelings about them...yet, he did his exam and diagnosed cuboid syndrome. Then he did a manipulation to reset the cuboid bone in its proper place. Also did some adjustment in the pelvic and lumbar region. He said I should feel better within 24 hours. I thought it felt better sooner than that, as I was able to walk normally 2 hours later.

But, I don't know...I'll wait and see. If the pain goes completely away before Friday, I might consider running the event. Otherwise, I'll cancel.

I don't want to turn something minor into something major by taking silly chances.

• You went to a chiro for a foot issue?  Just curious...I considered having them have a look at my left foot (left big toe's metatarsal isn't really weight-bearing).
  • Yes, I did.
    I suspected that my cuboid bone was not quite in its right place. X-ray images didn't show that, but the literature on cuboid syndrome indicates some dislocations do not show on X-ray imaging. I also noticed a difference between my left foot and my right foot above the cuboid bone. So, I thought it could be a structural issue.

On the other hand, as I said, I am on the fence as far as the validity of chiropractic medicine is concerned. So, I initially rejected the idea of seeing a chiropractor. But, my wife talked me into it by saying I really had nothing to lose, that at best they would do nothing for me.
    Fortunately, we are near the Palmer Chiropractic Clinic West (http://www.palmer.edu/clinics/SJ/), where many chiropractors have learned their trade over the years. So, I gave it a try.

My foot feels much better today. Now, it could be that I have rested since last Sunday, or it could be the manipulation they did yesterday. I'm guessing I will never know for sure.

With this improvement, though, I am now on the fence as to whether to run the race or not. I want to run, but I don't want to hurt myself. I should probably decide today or tomorrow. Those at the moments I don't like so much...
  • edited December 2013
    Regarding chriopractors, I'll add my two cents. I now actually work in a chiropractic clinic and as I understand it there are two sort of subgroups of chiros. One group practices a lot like physcial therapists, the other are more the blast you with Xrays and crack your back twice a week on an ongoing basis. Unfortunately the sketchier group gives the entire discipline a bad name. At my clinic we are very evidence based in our approach. I do gait analysis, we have a strength and conditioning coach, a massage therapist, and the chiro who owns the clinic. He specializes in manual therapy like ART, Graston, etc. and has developed a reputation as the guy to see locally if you are an injured athlete. Fun place to work!

• edited December 2013
    Thanks, Pete. I totally agree with what you said. Some chiropractors are barely different from physical therapists or physiotherapists.

I will also say I was quite impressed with the people I saw. Palmer is a teaching clinic, so I saw an intern, a third-year student and a fellow. They all operated in a very professional manner and did not try to talk me into returning for multiple adjustments.

I still have not made my mind about whether to run or not. If you woke up tomorrow with barely a twinge there, would you chance it?
    It has been improving steadily over the past few days. It could well be that I have no pain at all comes Sunday.

But, I must decide earlier if I want to be able to cancel the hotel reservation and other arrangements.

Tick...tock...tick...tock...
  • Went out for a 1.5 mile run tonight. I would say pain on push-off was a 2 on 1-10 scale.
    It didn't get worse during the run and got down to a 1 towards the end.

Looks like if only I had another week, things would probably be entirely fine. Darn.
  • I need to find someone that'd do that kind of work for me.  Hard to know who to trust.
  • Tough call @eternalfury. How did it feel the next morning?
  • The next morning is now. Sore in that foot. I am calling it off. I can't run 26 miles on a foot that gets sore after a 1.5 mile easy run.
    It's defeating, but that's what I must do.

Maybe I can do a shorter cycle for something else in March. For now, I will work on healing and strength.

• That's a tough one.  Bummer.  Better safe than sorry, I think (at least for others - I don't always follow that advice personally, much to the chagrin of my wife...).

As far as 'alternative' types of therapies, I'd put in a solid plug for acupuncture, with the caveat that Pete addressed above (find someone who is clued into evidence-based, sports/performance issues).  I went to an acupuncturist who treats a lot of athletes, and he did wonders for both plantar faciitis and IT band issues, working with a combo platter of acupuncture and topical herbs.  (I know, I was VERY skeptical too, but I'll be darned if it didn't work. He took care of my insomnia, too, for an added bonus)
  • Too bad, but probably the right call. Keep running regularly through the winter and you won't lose fitness, then maybe a Spring race is the way to go. Sometimes the hardest decision is the correct one when it comes to iffy injuries.