Re-transitioning to minimal shoes
  • I transitioned to minimal shoes last year and ran a half marathon in Bare Access 2s in May, but since the summer I've been running exclusively in Mirage 3s and Pure Flows to train for a marathon, which I just ran last Sunday. I'd like to start running in the Bare Access 2s again, specifically for a 5k on Thanksgiving. Should I transition into them as though I've never run in minimalist shoes before, or can I speed the transition up? 

• Wouldn't surprise me if it only took you a couple weeks to be full-time in them.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Thanks, Bryan. I'm going to push it a little bit, but hold back if I feel anything weird. I did about 3 miles in them earlier this week and felt good apart from some soreness in my calves afterwards, but that's to be expected. 
  • I wouldn't recommend running the 5K unless you've got about a week's worth of running at least on them.  I've got nothing to back that up, of course.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • You'll be fine.  I think people WAAAAAAAY over think the whole "minimalist transition" stuff.  5K isn't very long...
  • Probably not too much to worry about short of a bit of calf soreness. The Bare Access has enough cushion that it's not a huge jump from the Mirage/Flow. Listen to your body, back off if things are achy, and I think you should be fine.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • Thanks. It's been fine so far. Up to running 6 miles in them with no problem.

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android