Proof, perhaps, that there is nothing new...
  • Anyone remember the Air Zoom Stasis FS?  

Isn't it hilarious how clunky shoes from the 90's look?  These were relatively "lightweight" for the time!
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)

• I only ever ran in Nikes for a brief period during the late 1990s/early 2000s, but the 2000 edition of the Air International Max stands as one of my very favorite shoes. They were probably the lightest "real" running shoes I'd ever used at that point (which isn't really saying much, seeing as how clunky and heavy running shoes were back then).
  • I remember at one point (senior year) almost half my team running in these back in high school:

I was running in a pair of Brooks Beasts that had to weigh a pound apiece!

• The funny thing though, when reading many running blogs and runner comments, is that there seems to be the perception that the running shoe industry is undergoing a self-correction of sorts after a brief dalliance with the more extreme end of the minimalist design movement, but to me, at least, the chunky shoes of 1990s/early 2000s seem to be the outlier in shoe design history and not the norm. Running/athletic shoes, from the plimsolls of the early 20th century all the way through at least the Onitsuka Tiger shoes and their more popular derivatives/imitators from the 1960s, 1970s, and early 1980s could be described as less structured compared to many of the shoes from the 1990s and early 2000s.
  • Unfortunately, all I know is shoes of the late 90's and onward.  I'm just happy to see that lower profile is becoming standard, even if cushioning is still a thing.

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android