Best shoe for supination

I am struggling to find the right shoe design for supination that causes left leg soreness in the muscle on the outside of the shin as my runs get longer or I add hills to the mix.  I assume that my soreness is due to undue stress on the outside of the lower leg as I push off.  I am extremely flat footed, but I run slightly pigeon toed which creates the supination.  I just completed a hilly half marathon running in Saucony Virrata's which has a smaller footbed than my Altra Torin's.  My gut feel is that the Torin may be a better choice for long runs.  I am also tempted to try the Hoka in an attempt to add more distance in my quest for my first marathon at MCM late October (25 half marathons to my credit).  Any confirmation of my thoughts or additional advice would be appreciated.  Fred

Comments

• edited March 27
    Rather than look to a shoe for solution perhaps you can alter your gait a little, or re jig your training to factor in a bit more recovery.  

In terms of gait try keeping your lower legs relaxed, a good cue for this is relax your wrists, elbows and shoulders.  The wrists map to your ankles, elbows to your knees etc.  If you relax you'll be more aware of the loading on stance and be better able to fine tune the motor patterns to ease away unnecessary tension in your leg muscles.

Practising balancing on one leg may help too.

With recovery, make sure you are sleeping and eating well, and you do plenty of recovery runs at a very gentle pace. Doing half of training volume at recovery pace is what many elite practice do, something that most runners would probably benefit from copying.  These recovery runs can be used to practice good form as well as detuning the muscles and promoting recovery. 

During the retraining period less cushion rather than more might well be useful, something that can be more easily added on recovery runs.  Consider even doing some barefoot runs.

Once your better balanced your gait/muscles/training I would have thought that your shoe choice will become easier as you will no longer be looking to fix problems using shoes.
  • Have you had your gait filmed? The reality is that we all supinate to some degree prior to contact, and we all pronate after contact. It's just the velocity and amount of motion that varies. Is the pain in the peroneal muscles (side of shin) or tibialis anterior (outer margin of front of shin), that might help to figure things out.