Half marathon training, looking for new shoes

edited March 2013 in Minimalist Running
I'm about to embark on training for a half marathon in May and am looking to upgrade my shoes before I do so. Currently run in a very basic pair of Asics shoes. Just had a gait analyses done, came out as very neutral, slight heel striker and was recommended a shoe like the Saucony Triumph 10. However, after reading rave reviews of shoes like the Adidas Adipure Adipure Gazelle and Saucony Kinvara I was keen to try a shoe along those lines. Is a transition shoe something that anyone can get on with, do I just go for it? Should I just go with the running shops recommendation?
Many thanks in advance for your responses!

Comments

• edited March 2013

You should go with what feels best for you and works for you. I know a lot of newer runners always just want someone to tell them that they should just wear this or just wear that, but unfortunately it's not that easy. Only you will know what works best for you through trial and error.

That being said, if you are used to a highly cushioned, high heel to toe drop shoe, you will need a transition period going to a Kinvara or Gazelle to get your calves and Achilles used to the lower heel to toe drop.

• edited March 2013
    How far away is your race? It took me about four months or so to completely get over sore calves when I run. I had never really run before and I started off with the Mizuno Ronin 2s, an 8mm drop racer.

The Kinvaras made me much more sore in the calves than the Ronins, but you may not experience it much. I suggested the Kinvaras to two of my friends who were also new to running and neither one really experienced the pain enough to have to take full days rest in between. They had 10min/mile paces. I had an 8min/mile. They also definitely ran in the "glider" style as this person calls it while I ran in the "gazelle" style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJWPwVF30yo

For what its worth I found the Nike Lunaracer a really cushy yet responsive racer that did me well for my recent first half marathon. I know it can handle slight heel striking perfectly fine because I used to do that when I first purchased them and I think they're just golden now that I've transitioned to mid-foot striking.
  • I'm a big fan of the Triumph 9 and use it in my rotation for the long training runs (20-30 km). It's pretty light, have a 8 mm drop and have a superb cushioning.

When you have adjusted to the lower drop you can bring in some lighter shoes in your rotation like the once mentioned. 

Right now I got the Triumph for the long runs and the Saucony Mirage, Hattori and Brooks Pure Flow for all the fun :)