Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

DISCLOSURE
VigLink badge

The One

Comments

• I know, I was too harsh. I expected a lot and I was disappointed.

The lacing...I can't get it right, it's either too tight or too loose...I can't quite explain it.
    The tongue is a thin slice of fake leather. It creases too easily. You have too pull on it several time for it to find its proper place.
    The upper does not conform to my foot the way my Kinvara 3 do.

I love the toe box, I love the zero drop, I love the anatomical last.
    The sole material, not so much.

Fundamentally, it's not so different from the Instinct 1.5, which I also have, a bit lighter and some other minor details.

I guess I had high hopes and they were not met, which explains my initial reaction was more negative that it probably should be.

• edited March 2013
    So here's where my question comes...you say that you already have The Instinct 1.5.  If you did not have that already, do you honestly think you might like The One better?  It sounds as if your disappointment in a lot of ways is because to you, it's no better than The Instinct.

Do you dislike the midsole or the outsole?  Not sure if you're saying the feeling underfoot isn't good or you don't find the outsole to be durable or grippy enough.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • In my road rotation, I currently have the Kinvara 3, the Virrata and the GObionic. The GObionic is, in my view, much better than the The One. (I never thought I would recommend a Skechers shoe above an Altra shoe, but what can I say? My feet think so.)

Don't let me discourage you, go to a store and try them on, you may just love them. A lot of these things are highly dependent on user experience and personal taste.

• Definitely true.  Sadly, there's only one Altra retailer near me, and all they carry is The Instinct, so I'd have to just buy them online.  I never could find a Skechers shoe that fit the way I'd like, so you're definitely right about personal fit.  Honestly, I'm only "grilling" you because you're literally the only person I've heard who has done anything more than take a picture of them--including Altra (I've tweeted them and sent messages, but have gotten little to no info).
  • Interesting news...

I was not aware that The Instinct actually has a blown rubber outsole as well.  Apparently, it's the same material used in the outsole for The One.

Consider me interested once again!

• But still no reviews, not even any user reviews on the Altra site...

After my first 10 miles in the NB MR10v2 this morning, it would be very interesting to try the Altra One for a comparison; I could use an even wider, or rather more foot-shaped, toe box than that in the MR10's. Still waiting for Altra to get a distributor in Europe though.
  • Actually, it is on the Wear Tested list of 5-star shoes, but I can't find a review of it yet. It will probably be up any day now. http://www.examiner.com/list/the-five-star-minimalist-running-shoes-of-wear-tested
  • I saw that yesterday.  Hopefully they have a review up soon.  I can wait to spend the money, though.

What does have me a little bummed/perplexed is that the stack height measurements on Running Warehouse aren't as high as I thought they'd be.  I'd be worried that I'm basically buying another pair of BA2's just on a wider last.  While I LOVE my BA2's, I was hoping for something slightly cushier for longer runs.
  • Yep!

Ironically, I took my first run today in a pair of Instincts I got for $46.  When they're worn out (and The One is on sale), maybe I'll pick them up!
  • Bryan,

How do you like the Instinct? I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.
  • edited March 2013
    I've got a few miles (less than 10) on the Instincts, and they're getting better.  Here are my observations:

1.) The foot-shaped last of the shoe isn't wide enough through the mid-forefoot.  This part of my foot hangs off a little:

Here's how it sits in the shoe:

Here's a comparison of fit between the BA2's and the Instincts:

2.) The shoes are actually more firm than the BA2's and not *nearly* as flexible.  I hope these loosen up with miles.

Otherwise, they're not bad.  Hoping they get better.
  • Interesting. I found the Instinct 1.5 to be plenty wide for my average width foot. The ride is just okay, nothing spectacular. They are probably my favorite walking around running shoe though.
  • I have found that I prefer walking in The Instinct to running in them.  I'm thinking now that I might just save up for a pair of The One when they get cheaper and just soldier on with the BA2's for now.
  • @SteveL...have you had any time to review The One?