Mizuno Evo Cursoris
  • I'm still on the quest for a new pair of zero drop, slightly cushioned road shoes. So far with no luck:

Brooks Pure Drift: ditched for discomfort when worn without insoles; with insoles it's not zero drop anymore

Merrell Bare Access 2: ditched for pronounced rigid structure below the arch. Furthermore, not a secure fit around the heel which is partly due to the arch structure.

Now I'm throwing in a pair of Mizuno's Evo Cursoris:

Fit: snug fit around the toes without being restrictive. This reminds me very much of my pair of K-Swiss Blade Foot Run (zero drop). Sweet! Unfortunately the lower leather part where the laces are secured feels slightly restrictive. Even when laces are kept very loose. This is no shoe for high volume feet.

Outsole/Midsole: not very flexible. Actually quite rigid. For me this creates a problem. The shoe is completely flat without any toe spring. As a forefoot runner my toes shoe upward when the foot strikes ground. Simply take a look at those pictures here to see what I mean:

http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/3RunningBeforeTheModernShoe.html

Since the Mizunos are quite rigid I have to work against the uppers. Even though the uppers are very flexible they do not make up for the missing toe spring and inflexible mid/outsole. It feels uncomfortable. The K-Swiss Blade Foot Run makes a better job here.

Outsole: Laterally two black rubber pods can be found. However, these are positioned quite centrally. Looking at the wear of my shoes I would need a third pod in front of the two. There is a pod but only one made of this soft midsole material (?). Not many forefoot runners must have wear tested this shoe. Mizuno should have looked at New Balance for durable rubber placement.

Given the steep price tag here in Europe (€ 120 = $ 160) I can't justify to keep these shoes. And with their organge colour my wife would notice immediately that there is a new pair of running shoes in the house. Can't take that risk for a shoe that does not fit 100%.

• Sorry about the Evo Cursoris; it looked really nice on paper.

It's a shame that Altra isn't available in Europe yet, though the Instinct 1.5 can't really be regarded as a "slightly cushioned" shoe. I suppose you have already tried the NB MR00? I myself found it a bit too narrow so never got it for that reason, but others seem to like it. Can't really comment on the cushioning though, perhaps more minimal than you'd prefer?
  • Keeping shoes from the wife?  Tsk, tsk, tsk, sir, lol.

I honestly didn't notice any heavy arch structure on the Bare Access 2's.  You would think I'd be sensitive to that since I run sockless 100% of the time.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • NB MR00: already tried these a year ago. Offers too little volume for my left foot. Does not build very high.

Altra Instinct: this would be definitely too much shoe for my liking. Additionally, my pair of Superiors just made it to 50 miles or so before first tears appeared in the uppers. Altra wouldn't be on top of my shopping list at the moment.

BA2: I wouldn't say there is a heavy structure either. It's just that "there is something". The molded arch does not yield elastically as for example with my pair of Tough Gloves. There is a structure, too, but it does not interfere with the arches collapsing, e.g. working like springs. I already own a pair of BA1s and there is nothing below the arches. The midsole is very soft there and allows the arches to do their job. If there was just some durable rubber laterally I'd buy 5 pairs immediately.

Feet and running styles are simply different.

My wife: we just got our first annual garbage removal bill since we have our twin girls. Here we have to pay per garbage weight. Diapers multiplied by two! Since then we have our personal fiscal cliff. Difficult for my running shoe budget!
  • I understand.  I was just giving you a hard time.  Don't forget the priorities, of course!

(I really wish I ran enough to justify having more than one pair of shoes)
  • I often run commute to work. Helps logging some additional miles.
  • That would be nice.  How far do you have to go?
  • I just bought a pair of Sketchers GoBionics for €63 online. 0 drop, very flexible, fit is really comfortable (half size down for me), but haven't run in them yet... There's no hard rubber on the lateral side, though, which might be your biggest concern.

I know all about those heavy garbage bags! My twin boy and girl are without diapers for 18 months now, and the difference in weight was unbelievable.

• Hi Stefan,

I'm more or less on the same quest than you, narrowing it to PureDrift and MR00. Not easier decision, though... :)

Don't like how the PureDrift feel without the insoles either, but the story is a different one with them. From other comments seems that the heel-to-toe drop with insoles is more 2.5mm than the 4 they claim, I wonder whether than should be a reason to ditch them against a real zero drop pair. What do you think? Does it really make a significant different in running form?

I agree that as the shoes wear out these differences will be basically insignificant...

• Bryan, I commute the first part by car and the rest either by bike or by running. My bike route, mainly in summer, is about 25 miles one way. My running routes go from 6 to 12 miles one way, depending on where I park my car. Thereby I can avoid driving through town which is a nightmare during rush hour.

Pieter, I've looked at the Skechers,too. But as you already say the lack of durable rubber laterally disqualifies them for me. Unfortunately, interesting price tag.

Läuferin, since you can't test run the shoes go with your gut feeling. If a shoe fits nicely intially chances are good that it will be the right choice. I'd say it takes a couple of pairs before one can say what to look for in a shoe in order to be a good match. It all depends on your feet and how you run. See, Bryan has no problem at all with the BA2s molded arches whereas I really hate them. Additionally, people often have two different feet. This "complicates" matters further.
    You'd probably not notice a difference between a 2.5 mm and 0 mm. However, psychology ;-) I don't wear my 3 mm Inov-8s anymore.
  • i was going to suggest the GoBionic as well - the sole is not a standard EVA and they tell me that it is more durable. I haven't got enough miles on a single pair to comment though since they are always sending me new iterations. But, pricewise you can probably get two pairs for the price of most other zero drop shoes.

I know all about hiding shoes from the wife - but I now justify it by calling it my job :) Wasn't always this way...
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • Actually, it's quite o.k. with my wife. She has a very strong penchant for skis. She probably has 8 or 9 pairs in the basement. We're quite complementary with our sports gear addictions.

While running today I actually thought through that Skechers alternative. Since they are so cheap (Pieter, where did you get them for €63 online? Wiggle lists them for ~€80) I may try them. Once worn down laterally I will glue some rubber patch to the sole. Any recommendations regarding sizing?

I will also get a new pair of K-Swiss Blade Foot Run. They also sell very cheap at the moment. My current pair is doing quite fine with an additional rubber patch laterally. However, it's generell state is simply beyond average life expectency for such a shoe.

This should bring me through the rest of winter run commuting. In spring/summer it will be more cycling again.
  • I wear my usual size in the GoBionics.

On another note, I have a friend in the Netherlands who bought a pair of Saucony Virratas in a local running store. Apparently some places in Europe now have them in stock.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • Thanks about the sizing info.

Had thought about the Virratas, too, but a stack height of 18 mm is simply too high. I tend to roll my ankle with higher stack heights. Introduces some instability during landing.
  • I bought them at Spartoo.be, which actually doesn't have running shoes, but the Bionics are listed under Skecher Shape-Ups. Same on .nl, .fr or .de. Only the black ones.
    I usualy have a size 10, which corresponds to 44 most of the time, but I had to re-order a 9,5/43. I've often wondered about sizing charts, sometimes it's 10/9/44, then 10/9,5/44, and now my GoBionics are 9,5/8,5/43, when Skechers own charts give a 10/9/43 correspondence, so go figure...
    So even with the help of something like Shoefitr to get US sizings, for us in Europe it can still be a bit of a gamble buying shoes online.
  • Stefan, just a quick note on stack heights: the numbers are only part of the story. For example, comparing the PureDrift versus the SKORA Form, the PureDrift is supposedly 18/14 (though as we've mentioned in the PureDrift topic, the differential may be suspect), and the Form is 13/13. Shouldn't be that big of a difference...but the PureDrift feels more than a couple millimeters higher to me, probably because the Form is so much firmer. On the other hand, the PureDrift feels more stable since the Form has a bit of a convex sole. For another example, I'd be willing to bet you'd be more likely to roll an ankle in the PureConnect versus the PureCadence, despite the Cadence having a higher stack height, due to the PureConnect having a softer, narrower base with pods on the sole, which create some measure of instability.

That said, I haven't even seen the Virrata in real life, so I don't know what to expect with them.

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android