Skechers GoRun 2
  • I never thought in a million years that I would purchase a running shoe from Skechers, but I did! And let me tell you, these things are legit.

I had a hard time getting over the Skechers name and that they are sold at places like Famous Footwear, but they are being worn and recommended by serious runners. It wasn't until guys like Pete and Nate started talking positive about them that I decided to try them out, and let me tell you, I'm glad I did. I want to personally thank you guys!

I generally wear zero drop or low heel to toe drop shoes with lower stack heights for shorter runs and speedwork, but I have been wearing Saucony Kinvaras (all three versions) since they came out for long runs and marathons. After two years of wearing my Kinvaras, I wanted to try to rotate something else in for longer runs and marathons. I think the GoRun 2's fit this bill quite nicely.

The GoRun 2's feel better from the moment you put them on. The uppers are smooth as butter, reminiscent of Nike Frees but more room in the forefoot. The height feels similar to the Kinvara 3's. They are a tad softer than the Kinvara 3's and more flexible, but strangely feel more responsive. With all that softness and flexibility, I'm still able to maintain a quick turnover. I never had the original GoRuns with the pronounced midfoot bump that annoyed many. I did feel a slight midfoot bump in these while walking, but didn't notice it while running. The durability seems decent (I'll update after I rack up some more miles on them). Oh, and they look awesome too. I got the neon yellow and orange ones. They come with two pairs of laces, neon yellow and orange. I haven't run in them sockless due to the cold weather and I left the insoles in (insoles are very thin).

All in all, I really like them and I think they will definitely fit in the rotation with the Kinvaras, they may even replace them.

Pete, thanks for your r&d on these shoes. I think Skechers has a winner here and I hope their performance division sticks around for a long time.

• Thanks, it really is a solid shoe! I went through more iterations on this one than probably any other Skechers shoe I have wear tested and I'm really happy with how it came out. They've got a great team handling the Go line!
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • What is the stack height of the GoRun 2? I tried them on the treadmill at RoadRunner last night and they felt great. Will probably get a pair when I can get a good price on the color I want. Anyone that doesn't like the direction that the Nike Free 3.0 and 4.0 have gone (way too narrow) should try the GoRun 2.
  • It's 4mm drop, but I don't have the exact numbers handy. probably around 18-20mm stack?
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • Runner's World magazine has it at 22.5 mm heel, 17.3 mm forefoot.
  • I have done two runs so far and really like the shoe, but I had to remove the sockliner. The sockliner would slowly creep out the back of the shoe; even while walking. Sort of weird to have the liner half way up the calf. Not a good design feature :)
  • That is weird. I know a lot of people have had issues with the sockliner bunching up on them. Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with the sockliner yet.
  • I find that the removable flat insole in my GoBionics tend to stick to the balls of my foot and heel when I go sockless. Then when I take the shoes off, the insole almost goes along with it and I have to put them back in. When running, the insoles sometimes do stick to my bare feet and I can feel the arch area lifting off the sole. It's annoying, but hasn't occurred very often for me.

• Are they ok in either shoe (the GoBionic or GoRun 2) without the sockliner?  I mean, if you're not wearing socks, why would you need a sockliner?
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • I haven't tried them without the sockliner, but it is so thin that I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference in the ride. I think if someone had issues with the sockliner bunching up or slipping, they could just remove it and not notice a difference in feel or ride.

The more miles I put in on these, the more I like them. I don't think they will ever de-throne my Virratas or Kinvara 3's, but I do enjoy running in them. I am especially pleased with the durability of the GoRun 2's. After approximately 40 miles, they are showing hardly any wear.
  • Are they smooth under the sockliner?
  • Yes, just as smooth as the sockliner. It has the same material as the sockliner.
  • I actually get a blister on the ball of my left foot when I run without the sockliner in my GoBionics. I definitely feel a difference betwen running with and without the sockliner in regards to groundfeel, cushioning and being able to feel the individual blocks that make up the sole.

So I use the sockliner to prevent the blister and to add a little more cushioning. For me personally, the GoBionic with the sockliner is just on the threshold of how much cushioning I need to run safely in a zero drop shoe. If it had been available at the time, I think I would have purchased the GoBionic Ride instead.
  • The shoes are designed to be used either with or without the sockliner, so no problem pulling it out. I have not had the bunching issue personally, but the sockliner is designed to be very thin so it's definitely a risk of the design. It's something they are working on perfecting.
  • Thanks for the head's up, Pete.  It seems that the GoBionic shares the same issue.

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android