Trail Shoe Recommendation

Hi!

I'm looking for some ideas for a new trail shoe.  Here's the big constraint:  my "A" race will probably be muddy and wet.  It has been for the past 3-4 years and probably will be again. Most of the trail is a horse trail (nothing will make you despise horses more than running or riding on a wet horse trail) with a little bit of fire road and little bit of non-technical, soft single track.

I recently purchased a pair of the MT1010.  They appear to be fine, except they suck up every ounce of mud possible-the biggest problem is between the pods.  I would not consider these to be an option for the race if it is muddy/wet.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm basically looking for a lighweight, low drop, mud shedding shoe that will keep me from sliding around (if that exists).

Stats-

Race: 5-25K (My "A" race is 20K)

Pace-approx 7:15/mile for 20K

Heel drop:  0-8

Current shoes:  Altra instinct, Saucony Fastwitch 5, Saucony Triumph 9.  Past favorites:  Kinvaras, Mirages.  I seem to do fine in a wide variety of shoes.  I need at least some cushioning.  The Peregrines and Kinvara TRs caught my attention.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

Comments

• I run in the Inov8 245s and they seem to do a good job with the mud I've had to deal with but from your description you may have a LOT more mud than I've put mine through so take that with a grain of salt.

• I totally agree with the Inov8 Trailroc 245. That shoe really sheds mud and has great traction in slippery situations. The shoe feels extremely fast as well and has a slight 3mm drop.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. How is the cushioning on the 245s? How do they compare to the MT1010s or Instincts?
  • Cushioning is perfect for me. Less than the 1010's, I would compare it to the 110 as far as cushion goes. Unsure about the Instincts because I have not been able to transition to them yet.