Trailroc 235 durability issues

2»

Comments

• I've had the same issues with my 235s (445k) and bare grips (400k) - really looked after them too.
    I found stitching, then black witch is the best - so you get the strength from the fibres, then seal it with the blackwitch.

On the plus side, I ran my first ultra last sat - ran well and never really thought about my feet - no blisters etc. That was the 235s - my old 212s have lasted the best, the bumper all round the front help on the 'pivot point' I think.

Still looking for my perfect shoe - might try mudclaw 265 next although i prefer the natural fit. 
    maybe rock light 243 - dunno, a 235 that last better please inov8
  • HI just thought I'd add some of my experience to this thread.  ALL of my recent trail shoes have ripped away from the outsole recently - namely Peregrines, Mix Master 2, Trail Gloves... and my Roclite 243 would have done if I hadn't reinforced them - if you catch them before they fray you'll be fine.  I used this product: http://www.amazon.co.uk/McNett-Freesole-Rubber-Repair-Glue/dp/B000PBTV0O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1381090712&sr=8-6&keywords=shoe+goo which is super flexible and the best part it's clear - so your shoes don't look like you've ran through fresh tarmac.  I'll be doing this with all my new shoes from now on as a preemptive measure.  I did however out of desperation buy the super reinforced Roclite 295, it's a lot of shoe when you are used to more minimal offerings, but I have adapted to it and ran a 7 and a half hour mountain race in them.  They are bomb proof and you can get away with stuff that you just can't do in minimal shoes (like smashing your foot in to rocks!) 

In common with the OP I'm purely running up and down mountains with very little flat ground running - I've wondered if these durability issues are a cause of the activity before.  My more cynical side thinks that they are weaknesses built in to the shoe in order to sell more shoes.  But it might just be the trade off we have to accept for super light mountain running? 
  • I am puzzled reading this thread. I retired a pair of Bare Xlite 150 after more than 850 km. It probably could have lasted more than this if it wasn't of running in wintery slushy-salty-sandy condition.

I started using TrailRoc 235 last winter. This has been my favorite winter shoe because I like the grip. As I ran not much in Frebruary and March (wanted to see if stopping running would help get rid of health issues not running related) I have not managed to run more than 244 km with it. Shoes still look in mint condition. Must say that I'll use those shoes only in winter so I'll see how it goes next December.
  • Could very well be the up/down on steep trails, especially if there are lots of switchbacks, and also roots/rocks that invert/evert the foot. My guess is all of these things stress the upper-sole attachment, and issues maybe not as pronounced on flat, straight routes.

I noticed running on the track a few weeks ago that the shoe upper of the Mizuno Universe had to do a lot more work holding my foot in place around turns. Wonder if this is part of the issue on windy trails?
  • I read recently that this  problem maybe due to the different strengths and qualities of the upper and sole.  We normally have a very dense stiffer outsole/midsole, connected to a very light flexible upper.  Without a kind of bridging material the upper has to do all the work - hence holes.  I guess running steep grades amplifies this.  So the obvious fix is to put a rand on all trail shoes!  I've heard that the next gen TrailRocs (at least down to the 245) will be randed - Pete can you confirm this?