Dual-Use Low Drop Shoe?

One of these days, I need to actually try a dedicated trail shoe.  Truth
is, I spend too much time on the road (and too little time on trails)
to bother.  I mean, I've run tougher trails than you might guess in my Grid Mirages--and they're pretty much smooth-bottomed.

Question is, are there any shoes that would do well enough in both situations?  Preferably 4mm drop or less.

Comments

• I've run roads in my Saucony Peregrines. They do just fine and they have decent grip on trails and snow. I used to run in Mirage (the first version) and cushioning and ride is similar.
  • Although I am really digging New Balance Minimus lately and am thinking about picking up the MT10's for dual use. I don't do a ton of trail running, but we get a lot of snow where I live and I like to have the added traction in the deeper snow when running on roads.
  • Altra Superior is fantastic, works very well on roads. Others I like right now for hybrid use are the Inov-8 Trailroc 235 and Merrell Mix Master 2. The Peregrines are also a solid option and should feel somewhat similar to the Mirage.
  • Pete, isn't there a semi road-going version of the Mix Master that came out with the new product line?
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Yes, I have it. Mix Master Move. Photo below - really nice shoe:

• Perfect!

It's still got the 4mm drop from the normal Mix Master?
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • I have enjoyed the Inov-8 Trailroc 245 and Brooks PureGrit as hybrid trail and road shoes. Both are in the 4mm range (although i think the 245 is 3mm). I much prefer the trailroc until the PureGrit gets grippier. Already have a pair on preorder.
  • I also like the Grits. I suspect traction will be improved in the Grit 2, but the shoe got a lot uglier :)
  • I actually think they look cooler now. Love the look of burrito tongue shoes I guess...