The perfect shoe?
  • I have been running in minimal/low profile shoes for a few years now. I am looking for a shoe that provides a low profile feel to maintain form, enough cushioning for a marathon, some flexibility, and are light enough to do speed/tempo runs in. I think Pete will recommend the Kinvara. Other thoughts on what I should look at? 

• How wide do you normally fit your shoes?
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Standard width.
  • When I tried on the Kinvara, I found it to be a little too narrow for my tastes.  The Mirage fit my foot better.  Aside from the durability (at 200+mi, I started looking for a replacement shoe), I very much liked them in all respects aside from wet traction, though I even ran wet trails in the pouring rain with them.
  • Thank you for the info. What else have you run in? Newton makes a light weight cushioned shoe (distance). I see the Adidas Hagio mentioned a lot. Enough cushioning for a marathon? Thanks.
  • I'm just transitioning into the minimal category.  I moved from the Nike Air Structure Triax to the Asics GT-2160.  After that, I went to the Saucony ProGrid Mirage 2 and have only recently moved to the Merrell Bare Access 2.

I wish I could be of more help.  I hope that you get your question answered!
  • Inov8 makes some really good shoes.  I have the trail 245 and am going to be checking out their road shoes along with the Altra road shoe.
  • @marksilver2 - Newton Distance is solid, good alternative to the Kinvara. I now have three runs on the Brooks Pure Cadence 2 and like it a lot, definitely enough cushion for a marathon. Hagio is probably to firm and stiff for a marathon for me, but the Saucony A5 is great for a flat, and the NB RC1600 is pretty decent as well - could probably go marathon distance in either of those.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com

• Have you considered the Brooks Green Silence? Maybe not a true minimal shoe, but lightweight, fast and enough cushioning for long distances. Check Amazon for good deals, I bought two pairs for about $40 each.
  • I've wondered about those.  What's the drop on them?
  • Runningwarehouse lists them as 10mm drop, Runblogger said 8mm, but most people agree they feel flatter than that. http://www.runblogger.com/2010/02/review-of-brooks-green-silence-racing.html?m=1
  • I'd say about 8mm on the Green Silence. Very soft shoe if you like cushioning.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android