Merrell Bare Access 2 Review
  • I was thinking of trying a 6mi (10km) run to see how the BAA2's are and then decide if I can do my long run in them.  I would prefer not to have to do a painful long run in the inov-8 trailroc 245's if I don't have to.  I've done up to 20km in them, but my bunion is not happy!

• I have run 2-3 6mi runs in them and while they're adequate, I honestly don't know how people do like 20mi runs in them!
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Bryan, I think it's just a matter of slowly adding mileage. What used to hurt at 6mi now gets pushed to 10mi LOL
  • Good point.  Just in case, I bought a pair of Altra Instinct 1.0's since they were cheap (<$50US to my door!) to rotate out.
  • The road feel on the BAA2 is less than the A5 because I always feel gravel underneath my feet in the A5, so I am liking the amount of protection the BAA2 offers.
  • I honestly don't know if I ever felt that the BA2's didn't provide enough *protection*.  I just sometimes wish they had a wider base under my feet, perhaps.  That's why I had my hopes all up for Altra's The One, but I don't think it'll be what I had hoped it would be.
  • I just did a 10mi (16km) run in the BAA2's and my feet don't feel too bad. Last week, I went back to the Saucony Type A5's and my feet no longer fit in them having widened from forefoot striking. The A5's battered my feet on my 14km run :(

I am wearing CEP compression socks to keep my legs from suffering too badly from DOMS though to keep the legs in good condition for my half in a few weeks.
  • I just bought Altra The One. I'll give it a run soon.

• Let us know how they work out!  I'm curious if they're a little more flexible (and softer) than The Instinct.
  • Has anyone here experienced issues with tiny pebbles getting into the BA2s while running? I've had it happen fairly frequently, though they haven't been so large that I've needed to stop running to get them out (I think they must find their way to a corner pretty quickly). It's the only real complaint I have about the shoes so far.
  • Yep.  It can be annoying, but it's a small price to pay, IMHO.
  • @BryanEW710 I completed a half in the BAA2's and my feet are moderately sore (I can still walk at least!)  Given that my other choice would have been inov-8 trail245's that were too narrow, this was better for my feet even though I have only used the zero drop shoes for a month (compared to 1.5 years of 3-4mm shoes).
  • I still don't know how people do 20mi in them.  That said, I just did a very rainy 6mi in them today and was amazed to feel that at no point did I feel like I didn't have enough cushioning.  That's impressive to me!
  • The beauty of this shoe is how well it seems to direct form. I've found that even on long ones (16-30mi) not only the cushioning, but improving the foot strike, there is ample padding and I have suffered no ill effects thus far. I can also say I use the Road Glove 2 with similar results, even with less cush the shoe protects and performs very well. To be fair, I do rotate through many different shoes so I don't know how they would perform with many consecutive days.
  • If I could find a pair of RG1's cheap, I'd buy them as a backup.  Pretty sure the Instincts aren't going to do the job.

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android