Merrell Bare Access 2 Review
  • Roadrunner agreed to take my shoes back, so it looks like I'm getting a new pair.  I'll keep up this thread, though.

Just got through mile 112 on my current pair and I still LOVE them.  Still wondering if something like the Altra Instinct might be more my speed, but I've really enjoyed having something so light and responsive.  I find that I want to run in these things every day and looking at them in my bag, I just think "Dang, these things are cool!"
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)

• My replacement shoes are on their way!  Hopefully they make it here so I can get a couple runs in before I have to run the Cowtown 10k next weekend.

Stay tuned!
  • I'm getting mine this Saturday. Looking forward to finishing off my training with them--two halfs coming up in the next few months.
  • I think you're in for a treat!

Just out of curiosity, though...did anyone else have the same defect my first pair did?  I certainly didn't have enough miles on them for it to be anything but a defect...
  • Went for my first run in the BA2s today: a quick 4 miles. Simply put, every positive thing I've heard about these shoes is correct. Compared to the NB MR00s I was running in, there's a bit less ground feel but much more protection (stepping on small stones no longer kills). I felt the arch support, but I actually liked it, and it faded as a ran. Really just an excellent shoe.
  • Mine had no defects.
  • That's actually reassuring.  I consider it a defect of my pair especially because one shoe had it and the other didn't.
  • They're out for delivery today!  So excited to get back into them :-)

• Got in a run last night and this afternoon.

10K on Saturday!
  • I'm having a little pain on the outside of my left foot (right on the left side of it) after a few runs in my BA2s. Anyone experience anything similar? I think I might have done too much in them right away (4-mile tempo followed by a 13.5 miler), but then I'm also starting to suspect that I pushed my transition to zero-drop, minimalist shoes too hard in the first place.

Good luck on your 10K Bryan! I've never actually run one of those before.
  • I much prefer 5K's, but we're doing a 10K with my mother-in-law and the rest of my wife's family to celebrate her 60th birthday.

As for your foot pain...is this your first zero-drop shoe?  First minimal shoe?
  • No, I've been running in NB MR00s for about 250 miles now. I've recently been pushing distance-wise while training for a half marathon, so that might be why I'm feeling it now. I'm starting to do some foot exercises at night to build some strength.
  • Good deal.  I only ever have numbness when I accidentally tie one of my shoes too tightly.  Otherwise, it hasn't been a problem.

Admittedly, my transition from 12mm to 4mm to zero-drop was helped because I'm doing really low miles per week.
  • I got some serious pain in my big toe on a 7 mile run this morning. I think I may have overcompensated for the Pain on the outside of my foot. I'm considering going back to more traditional shoes in order to properly transition to the BA2. May have broken the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule by going to minimalist shoes.
  • Dan - this seems wise - step back for a week or two then migrate back in slowly. Don't risk a stress fracture!
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android