Merrell Bare Access 2 Review
  • Hi sorry to jump in but I was hoping for a bit of advice.at the moment I am running in kinvara 3s I want to get a pair of merrell trail gloves tried a pair on very comfy but zero drop will I need a transitional period or can I jump straight in with a 3 miler.Had to break in slowly with kinvaras 2 mile runs doing 20+ a week now any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Trail Gloves are a big jump from the Kinvara - virtually no cushion and they're zero drop so a gradual transition is critical. I'd go no more than a mile on the first several runs. Your calves will scream at you the next day, but that's normal muscular soreness. If you feel any foot pain, back way off. 
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • This is a review for the Bare Access 2, which has more cushioning than the Trail Glove.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Several updates:

Ran in the shoes for a 5k on Christmas Eve morning.  Gotta say that they felt great.  I really can't say enough about how good they feel--nice and light and still feel protected from the road.

The bad is this...with barely 70mi on them, I'm noticing a slight separation between the upper and midsole right where my left big toe flexes:

For comparison, here is the same spot on the right shoe:

Do you think it's worth sending these back, just slapping on some Shoe Goo, or simply leaving alone?
  • My guess is that won't progress to much, I'd keep running in them and if they get really bad before 150 miles then contact Merrell. I use Loctite Fabric/Vinyl glue to repair upper/sole delam issues. Good stuff since it remains flexible.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • Thanks, Peter.  I was wondering if there was a suitable adhesive.  It doesn't appear to have gotten worse in the meantime.  I've already contacted RoadRunner (who I bought them through) and I have until February to return them should I need to.
  • Also,

Having tried both, how do you compare the Road Glove and Bare Access?  I'm thinking the BA2 has the right amount of road feel, but I never thought I'd even get to run that minimally...
  • Fit is similar, much less cushion in the Road Glove. You might be able to fine the first Road Glove cheap right now if you want to try it.

• I've wondered.

Still loving the BA2's...update at 100mi :)

Put them through the wash for the first time and no issues so far.
  • Just recently purchased these and really like them.  Very comfortable even without socks, which led to my thoughts about using these in my tri races.  My question is related to whether a zero drop shoes such as this one would be a good shoe to race in, or is a more traditional racing flat better for racing, all things being equal
  • I've raced in them for two 5K's so far.  I've never run more than 6mi at any one time in them.

How far are you racing?
  • I will say that the laces on these aren't the most secure I've ever had.  That might make a difference...
  • My racing is limited to sprints and olympic distances.  6 is about all I have run in these as well, but I am now using tri laces in them and they seem very secure.  I guess the question is more along the lines of is a tradional shoe with a drop and a little more cushioning faster tthan a zero drop with minimal cushioning.  Could be that answer is entirely dependent on person
  • Well, their cushioning has been decent for me.  That said, I ran over a rock on Monday and ended up not only taking Tuesday off (mostly because I got busy at work), but ran today in my old Mirages to get a little more material between me and the road.
  • I'd say "faster" is more individual and based on how well you are adapted to a particular shoe. For me, light weight and stiff sole are my main preferences for a racing shoe, though I do like a 4mm heel lift for speed as well to spare my calves a bit.

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android