Flats as Daily Trainers?

Just curious, folks...what racing flats would you run in as daily trainers?  My first thought is to start with the marathon shoes and work from there.

Comments

• I find myself gravitating toward road flats more and more often these days as my preferred shoe. Saucony A5, Mizuno Universe, NB R1600, adidas Hagio are all solid.
  • Some of them, I mean racing flats, are quite more stiff than minimalist shoes, at least those I know better, like Ronin 4 or Adizero Adios.
  • I'll look into it.  It'd be nice to start shopping for shoes under $80.  It seems like I don't get much more life out of shoes in the $100-110 region, so paying 25% more doesn't really make sense.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • They do tend to be stiffer, but I feel that's a plus for speedwork, maybe not so much for everyday training. adidas shoes tend to be stiffer than others, the Saucony A5 is fairly flexible for a road flat.
  • So if you were looking for something to use more for daily training, which would you pick (or would you pick any for 9min/mi pace)?

• A5 for me, it's just a great match on my feet for some reason. Adidas Gazelle would be up there too.
  • Cool...I'll see which one goes on clearance first, lol
  • I love Asics shoes and have had good luck with them so I decided to get another pair. I just picked up a pair of ASICS GEL-Extreme 33 for $65. Breaking them in slowly... Can't wait to start using them on a daily training basis... I went through all the reviews and they say flats are good for running so I will give them a shot...
  • Peter, have you ever tried using an XC flat (ie a spike with rubber nubs instead of spikes) on-road?  Also curious about something like the Zoom Streak XC
  • Just a warning about the Streak xc, it's pretty narrow. My feet aren't too wide so I could fit in them.
  • Bryan - yeah, have run a bunch in the spikeless Brooks Mach series - here's a review of one: http://www.runblogger.com/2010/08/shoe-review-brooks-mach-12-cross.html

Problem is they can be narrow, especially the Nike's. If you have remotely wide feet you may have trouble - they tend to be built for high school and college kids.

Here's another post I wrote about cross-country flats as minimalist shoes.