Alternative to Bare Access 2

As I sit waiting for Merrell for yet another week to ship my Bare Access 2's that I ordered at the end of September, I'm starting to get kind of impatient for replacing my well-used Grid Mirage II's

The question is...is there a shoe that's comparable to the Bare Access 2 in zero drop, outsole durability, and fit (attributes listed from least to most important)?

Comments

• Skechers Go Bionic, Altra Instinct 1.5, New Balance Minimus MR00. The latter is on liquidation for cheap right now at Running Warehouse.
  • edited November 2012
    The last part is why I was asking.  Are you a fan of the Minimus Road?  I'm particularly curious about the durability of that outsole.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Well, for now at least, this is a moot point.

MY SHOES FINALLY SHIPPED!

(Literally a month to the day they were supposed to ship)
  • Problem with the Minimus Road is a somewhat narrow midfoot, otherwise I like them a lot. Let us know what you think of the Merrell's when thy arrive.
  • Will do.  In fact, how about I just start a review thread?

:)

• Sounds good - that's my ultimate hope for this forum is to have independent reviews submitted. Best advic runners can get is from other runners :)
  • Looking forward to it!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to start running in them until the week after next.  They're not supposed to be delivered to me in Ohio (from California) until next Wednesday...when I'll be in California for work, lol
  • Offhand, do you think I can realistically be ready to run a 5k on Thanksgiving in these after only transitioning for a week?  My Mirages are getting pretty dead...
  • You may have some very sore calves, but they are cushioned so not like running in a Vibram or something like that. Give it a few runs and see how they feel.
  • Will do!
  • I tried out the MR00's at a local New Balance store.  I honestly wasn't impressed.  The midsole felt more dead than the Merrells I'd walked into the store wearing (having just finished a 5k) and the upper creased above the end of my right big toe.  That would've been super annoying.
  • That's my problem with them - sole has no pop. 
  • Do the Bare Access have more cushioning than the MR00? It sounds like maybe they feel like they do? I'm running in MR00s now and think I'd be better off with a bit more cushioning, especially on 10+ mile runs (just ran 10.5 yesterday and felt it in my feet towards the end).
  • I think the BA2 might be right up your alley.  The feel is great, but they could stand to be a *little* wider-soled.  My biggest complaint is WHY IN THE HECK DID THEY PUT BLOWN RUBBER ON THE OUTER TOE AREA?!